Last night the UAH (University of Alabama-Huntsville) hockey team took on the Ferris State Bulldogs in another WCHA (Western Collegiate Hockey Association) showdown. The lineup last night featured eight freshmen, including goaltender Carmine Guerriero. It was a rough first period for the Chargers where they allowed four Ferris State goals. During the second and third periods however, the Chargers hunkered down defensively, only allowing one goal. Unfortunately, the Chargers were not able to convert on their scoring opportunities and fell to the Bulldogs 5-0. Below are game highlights and post game interviews with Head Coach Mike Corbett, forward Brice Geoffrion and defenseman Brandon Carlson.
- Physical game by UAH, blocking shooting lanes.
- Great chemistry on the “energy line” of McKenna, Fletcher and Geoffrion.
- 9 shots on goal in the first period.
- Geoffrion creating chances and drawing a penalty on a breakaway.
- UAH only allowed 3 shots on goal in the first 10 minutes of the 3rd.
- No 3rd-period meltdown means the Chargers kept fighting until the end.
- UAH only allowed 1 goal after the 1st period.
- The Bojangles chicken dance saw some tough competition as 3 sections competed until the end to win free chicken biscuits.
What needs work:
- 1st period shots coming from low percentage zones (point, top of face-off circles)
- UAH took 5 penalties, allowing Ferris State to convert on 3 of them.
- Not being able to play on even-strength made it difficult for the Chargers to gain any momentum or create a rhythm in the game.
- UAH went 0-2 on the power play.
UAH is a very young team and there are flashes of great potential from this team. As long as they keep pushing forward, the wins and goals will come. Looking ahead to the next few seasons, this team will be full of leadership and chemistry. Watch the video below for post-game comments from Head Coach Mike Corbett, Brice Geoffrion and Brandon Carlson.